Isn’t it odd that we live in a world where things like aliens, Bigfoot, and winged demons hanging out at the State Fair have become downright quaint? Just think of all the awful, horrible, and destructive things people believe in these days. We’ll take ghosts and hodags in a heartbeat.
ANYWAY, after an online-only 2020, the Milwaukee Paranormal Conference is back! The weekend celebration of the strange and unusual is set to take place September 24-26 at various locations in and around Milwaukee. (The bulk of the con will take place at Alverno College.) “The vision has always been to provide fascinating guest speakers, panels, documentaries, and activities related to paranormal investigation, Ufology, cryptozoology, folklore, and all things strange and eerie,” reads the con’s website. “It is also an event that celebrates local artists, crafters, musicians, and businesses. It is informative, a great chance to meet people with similar interests, and we also try to make it a helluva fun time.”
The theme for this year’s con is “Wisconsin, Good Land of Paranormal.” Expect plenty of panels on Milwaukee-based poltergeists, the “Lake Michigan Triangle,” and, yes, the fabled Haunchyville. Will there be a Haunchyville coloring sheet to go along with the “Voyage to Haunchyville” panel? YES.
The Milwaukee Paranormal Conference is organized by author, podcast host, and occasional Milwaukee Record contributor Tea Krulos. He knows a thing or two about the strange and unusual. Here’s the schedule:
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 24
PARANORMAL PARTY TIME @ FAKLANDIA BREWING
• Ghost Story Open Mic (share your own experiences and stories!)
• Tea’s Weird Week Trivia w/ Miss Information (show off your knowledge of the strange and eerie!)
• Sunspot (official band of the Milwaukee Paranormal Conference!)
• Also, 7:30 p.m.: American Ghost Walks Bloody Third Ward tour
• And, of course, delicious food and drink, free admission!
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 25
MILWAUKEE PARANORMAL CONFERENCE @ ALVERNO COLLEGE
10 A.M. – 5 P.M.
• Shetan Noir, “The Lake Michigan Triangle”
• Amelia Cotter, “Where the Party Never Ended: Ghosts of the Old Baraboo Inn”
• Barnaby from Cryptids, Anomalies, and the Paranormal Society, “A Comparative Study of Bigfoot”
• Tea’s Weird Week Birthday Panel w/ Tea Krulos, Heidi Erickson, Goddess Aida, Hillarie Higgins, J. Nathan Couch, and Donna Lea Wells Fink
• Allison Jornlin, “Milwaukee Poltergeists”
• American Ghost Walks Panel
• Milwaukee Krampus Eigenheit
• Mike Huberty, “Voyage to Haunchyville,” includes a Haunchyville coloring page sponsored by Studio Moonfall
• Paranormal Investigators of Milwaukee
• Sam Maranto of Illinois MUFON, “Chi-town Flap”
• 7:30 p.m.: American Ghost Walks Bloody Third Ward tour
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 26
ACTIVITIES DAY @ VARIOUS LOCATIONS
• 10 a.m.: Yoga in the Cemetery @ Forest Home Cemetery, $15 (space is limited)
• Noon: Pop-up Death Cafe @ Grant Park, free event (space is limited)
• Noon: Ghost Poems poetry event @ Jazz Gallery Center for the Arts, hosted by Kavon Cortez Jones, free event
• 1-6 p.m.: Witches Faire @ Faklandia Brewing. Features workshops, vendors, and special performance by Puerto Wiccan. Free event.
• 2 p.m.: Presentation by Gavin Schmitt, author of The Milwaukee Mafia @ Bay View Community Center, free event
• 3 p.m.: American Ghost Walks Waukesha tour, ticket info soon
• 3 p.m.: Cemetery Art and Symbolism tour, Forest Home Cemetery, $10 (space is limited)
Exclusive articles, podcasts, and more. Support Milwaukee Record on Patreon.