Every Friday, Off The Record looks to other Milwaukee publications (and beyond) for bits of news we missed throughout the week.
• Is there anything Justin Vernon won’t do for you? Shhhh… [gently places index finger on your lips] Don’t answer that. Just listen… [impenetrable mix of looped, auto-tuned vocals begins]
Fresh off a triumphant show at the BMO Harris Bradley Center, Vernon and his Bon Iver drummer Sean Carey will stage a series of overnight “Lock Inns” at Vernon’s boutique, 30-room Oxbow Hotel in Eau Claire. Beginning at just $250 per person, the two musicians will prepare a six-course meal (with the help of Chef Nathan Berg), perform music throughout the night (with the help of some surprise guests), curate a playlist that will be piped into the hotel lobby and bar (with the help of Spotify and/or Apple Music), and oversee an “overnight stay, brunch, morning yoga and a limited-edition event poster.” The event page goes into more heartbreakingly gorgeous detail:
Upon check-in, throughout the property and bar you’ll hear a playlist filled with songs selected by Vernon and Carey. Then, during a relaxing and very special six-course dinner crafted in collaboration with Chef Nathan Berg, the two will perform live on the stage in The Lakely. Later, they’ll be joined throughout the night by other yet-to-be-named musical guests from their stable of friends and creative collaborators.
Only 30 packages will be sold for each date, making each Lock Inn available to only a select few. Other package highlights include a limited-edition event poster, morning yoga in The Gallery, brunch from a prix fixe menu, and the opportunity to be a part of an incredibly special experience
Other possible perks include Vernon moving in with you, loving you for all eternity, staying in and playing Settlers Of Catan with you on Friday nights, selflessly raising your child, growing old with you, and serving as a pallbearer at your funeral. Barring that, maybe some inside info on who’s playing Eaux Claires this year.
• The Miramar Theatre abruptly closed last week because of a liquor license problem but now that problem has been taken care of and the Miramar may reopen next month. [Milwaukee Journal Sentinel]
• The city’s Licenses Committee approved that Sip & Purr cat cafe on the East Side. [Milwaukee Journal Sentinel]
• The city’s Licenses Committee approved that AXE MKE axe-throwing bar on the East Side. [Milwaukee Journal Sentinel]
• Calliope released a new single, “Evil As You,” and it’s awesome. [Bandcamp]
• Calliope released a new video, “Sea Of Red,” and it’s awesome, too. [YouTube]
• UW-Milwaukee’s Peck School of the Arts Mainstage Theatre is back! [Shepherd Express]
• IKEA IS OPENING IN OAK CREEK ON MAY 16. [Milwaukee Business Journal]
• HUEY LEWIS AND TLC ARE COMING TO THE WISCONSIN STATE FAIR. [OnMilwaukee]
• Milwaukee County Transit System did a “Mean Tweets” video and it’s kind of adorable. [YouTube]
• The Sherman Phoenix sounds amazing. [Milwaukee Business Journal]
• The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel‘s weekday and Sunday circulation is down by more than 20 percent. [Milwaukee Business Journal]
• A fitness studio is opening up in the old American Apparel space on the East Side. [Milwaukee Business Journal]
• Have a great weekend, Milwaukee!