At the dawn of the new year, the 2020 Democratic National Convention was expected to draw 50,000 people to Milwaukee. Everyone was going to cash in. Everyone was going to get rich. Now, months into a global pandemic, not only is the 2020 DNC an almost all-virtual affair, but the few remaining physical attendees are being urged to avoid Milwaukee bars and restaurants. Unreal.
Anyway, the DNC is still taking place August 17-20, and, um, there might be a few people speaking in Milwaukee? And maybe some protesters? Who knows. Here are some road closures, which were announced Wednesday afternoon:
Beginning no later than 6:00 P.M. CDT on Saturday, Aug. 15, until midday on Friday, Aug. 21, the following permanent street closures will be in effect:
• W. Wells St., between N. 6th St. & Vel R. Phillips Ave (N. 4th St.)
• W. Wisconsin Ave., between N. 6th St. & Vel R. Phillips Ave (N. 4th St.)
• N. 6th St., between W. Michigan St. & W. Kilbourn St.
• N. 5th St., between W. Michigan St. & W. Kilbourn St.
• N. 4th St., between W. Michigan St. & W. Kilbourn St.
• W. Michigan St., between Vel R. Phillips Ave (N. 4th St.) & N. 5th St.
Beginning Friday, plan for the Kilbourn Tunnel to be closed from Friday 8/14 through Friday 8/21
• Kilbourn Tunnel – Exit ramp from N I-43 (Exit 72C)
• Kilbourn Tunnel – Entrance ramp to N I-43
Oh, and if you do find yourself downtown during the DNC for some reason, here are some security do’s and don’ts:
Only individuals with credentials/tickets will be allowed access to the Democratic National Convention at the Wisconsin Center. Those individuals will be subject to a thorough security screening before entering and should allow additional time for these security screenings.
General Prohibited Items
As a security precaution, the following items will be prohibited from entry into the Wisconsin Center:
• animals other than service/guide animals
• bags exceeding size restrictions
• drones and other unmanned aircraft systems
• glass, thermal, or metal containers
• laser pointers
• mace/pepper spray
• selfie sticks
• signs exceeding the size restrictions (20′ x 3′ x 1/4″)
• support for signs and placards
• toy guns
• recreational motorized mobility devices
• weapons of any kind
• any other items determined to be potential safety hazards
**Surrendered items will not be returned.**