Every Friday, Stuff We Missed (formerly Off The Record, which is now the name of our print-only Colectivo publication) looks to other Milwaukee publications (and beyond) for, well, stuff we missed throughout the week.
• With the weather getting colder and the flakes starting to fall, Milwaukee has decided it will no longer get caught with its snow-plowing pants down. On Tuesday, the Common Council unanimously approved a resolution to create a reserve force of snow plow operators from, get this, retired snow plow operators. More drivers, it turns out, means Milwaukee can plow more snow. Cool!
Urban Milwaukee explains:
The plan would have drivers that retired within the last three years apply to work as supplemental drivers. “We would require a commitment for the entire snow season,” said Department of Public Works administrative services director Dan Thomas in early March. Retirees could continue to draw on their pensions, but wouldn’t accrue additional benefits. They would be paid hourly at the same rate as existing drivers. After eight hours on a shift they would earn time-and-a-half pay. To qualify retirees would still need to live within 15 miles of the city.
City officials blasted the Department of Public Works last month for its lackluster plowing operations. The DPW, in turn, complained of aging equipment, staffing shortages, and plow operator inexperience.
Ald. Robert Bauman introduced Tuesday’s resolution, though the idea seems to have come from an email sent by a retired plow driver. All kidding aside, the program will go into effect next winter, and it sounds pretty great. [Urban Milwaukee]
• The Miller High Life Theatre wants to add a “grand bar” near its entrance. [Milwaukee Business Journal]
• The James Beard Foundation announced its 2019 awards nominees and…none of the previously announced Milwaukee semifinalists made the cut. [Milwaukee Business Journal]
• XO Cocktail Parlor is open. The “don’t-call-it-a-club” club has taken over the old 42 Lounge at 326 E. Mason St. [OnMilwaukee]
• Baccanera Enoteca, the long-in-the-works wine and cocktail bar coming to the old Eastsider at 1732 E. North Ave., will open April 5. [OnMilwaukee]
• New Rose Of The West song! [Soundcloud]
• Two words: Little Duck. Four words: Little Duck “Quack Snacks.” [OnMilwaukee]
• Five words: donut boats and retro boats. [OnMilwaukee]
• Miller Park now features brandy from Walker’s Point’s own Central Standard Craft Distillery. [Milwaukee Business Journal]
• HOW ABOUT THOSE BREWERS?! AND HOW ABOUT ONE OF THOSE VIDEOS WHERE THEY ADD THE SONG FROM TITANIC?! [TMJ4]
• Have a great weekend, Milwaukee!