Last summer we introduced you to RUSTBELT, a.k.a. New-York-by-way-of-Milwaukee musician John Chiaverina, a.k.a. the man formerly known as Juiceboxxx. “Juiceboxxx was an exercise in believing in myself despite everything,” Chiaverina told us. “It gave me a reason to live. I did it for 20 years. I don’t know what is next, but I can’t stop writing songs and being creative.”
What was next was a fantastic self-titled RUSTBELT debut featuring pop-rock bangers like “Fade The Mix” and “When I’m Feelin’ Manic.” Soon after, Chiaverina’s RUSTBELT project played its first show at the 2022 Bay View Bash. It was awesome.
In the RUSTBELT band that night (among other Milwaukee music ringers) was former Promise Ring drummer Dan Didier. (Didier currently plays with bands like Dramatic Lovers and Fight Dice.) Clearly a Promise Ring band, Chiaverina/RUSTBELT has now released a cover of TPR’s “Nothing Feels Good,” the title track of the legendary Milwaukee band’s legendary 1997 album. It’s an electro- and autotune-drenched take on the classic emo song, and it, too, is awesome.
Also, just for kicks, here’s a live acoustic version on the song we recorded during our A.V. Club Milwaukee days 8,000 years ago (2012).
Exclusive articles, podcasts, and more. Support Milwaukee Record on Patreon.
• Juiceboxxx is dead. Long live RUSTBELT.
• 26 pictures (and 1 video) of Bay View Bash 2022
• My First Band: Dan Didier (The Promise Ring, Maritime, Dramatic Lovers)
• Members of Decibully, Maritime, and The Promise Ring are ready to resurface as Dramatic Lovers
• Meet Fight Dice, a Dungeons & Dragons-inspired music collective featuring members of The Promise Ring and Braid
• Listen to a soundboard recording of The Promise Ring’s 1999 show at Concert Cafe