Heads up, anyone driving east or west at the intersection of East Locust Street and North Humboldt Boulevard: that intersection will be closed August 10 – September 2. (North-southbound traffic on Humboldt won’t be affected.) Why? The big Humboldt Boulevard Reconstruction Project, of course! (The majority of the project is set to be completed this year, with further landscaping and electrical work set for spring 2023.)
Here’s the press release
Closure of East Locust Street at North Humboldt Boulevard
August 10 – September 2
The City of Milwaukee Department of Public Works (DPW) announces the closure of East Locust Street at North Humboldt Boulevard from August 10 through September 2, 2022. This work is related to the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) reconstruction project on North Humboldt Boulevard from East North Avenue to East Keefe Avenue.
The eastern half of this intersection will be closed to all modes of traffic. A closure has been planned because it will be more efficient, more cost effective and safer for the crew to remove and replace this portion of the intersection in one segment instead of multiple construction stages.
Traffic Staging Details:
• East Locust Street will be closed to thru traffic at North Humboldt Boulevard.
• Motorists are advised to use alternate routes, including East North Avenue and East Capitol Drive for east-westbound traffic.
• North-southbound traffic on North Humboldt Boulevard will be maintained.
• Local traffic to adjacent properties on East Locust Street, east of North Humboldt Boulevard, will be accessible from North Oakland Avenue. This includes the properties located on Humboldt Blvd. that access their driveways from the Locust Street alley. Short-term closures to this alley access are anticipated. Prior to any closures, a notice will be delivered to the affected properties.
• For MCTS bus route schedule and details, visit www.ridemcts.com.
Pedestrians and Bicyclists Detour:
• Pedestrians are advised to travel on the west side of North Humboldt Boulevard and cross at East Chambers Street or East Hadley Street to access properties on the east side.
• Westbound route for bicyclists: Cross at the signalized light at East Locust Street (near HACM Locust Court), travel through Gordon Park on Oak Leaf Trail, cross at East Hadley Street, head northbound on North Humboldt Boulevard back to East Locust Street.
• Eastbound route for bicyclists on East Locust Street: Travel southbound on North Humboldt Boulevard, cross at East Hadley Street, travel through Gordon Park on Oak Leaf Trail back to East Locust Street.
DPW advises the traveling public to allow for extra time while traveling to and from this neighborhood. For more information about the WisDOT project, please visit Milwaukee.gov/dpw/Humboldt.
Exclusive articles, podcasts, and more. Support Milwaukee Record on Patreon.