On Thursday, July 2 at 9 a.m., the Common Council’s Public Safety and Health Committee will discuss a proposed citywide masking policy that would require Milwaukeeans to wear masks in public places. In case you missed it, a bunch of businesses want such a policy. Others do not. Alderwoman Marina Dimitrijevic (chair of the Public Safety and Health Committee) has introduced the proposed policy, dubbed MKE Cares. Tomorrow’s meeting will surely be a hoot. You can watch it HERE.
Want a taste of the public support and opposition for a citywide masking policy? Then download these extensive PDFs, which are on public file HERE. First, the…
And then, the…
Some highlights from the Support category:
• Absolutely mandate masks for any business inside, it’s the only defense we currently have, thx!
• 100% in favor of masks required. I thought we were adults and wouldn’t need this sort of thing but then again, we have no ADULT leadership
• Thank you for the courage to promote a public mask mandate. I support your announced legislation.
• I am in favor of the requirement of wearing a mask in public. It saves lives.
And some highlights from the Opposition category:
• We do not want to wear masks! There is no proof that Masks do anything! You are dividing our city even Worse! Stop the Mandatory Mask law! It is unconstitutional!
• I will not patronize any business that requires customers to wear a mask. They are not healthy. Stop controlling us.
• You model your ordinance on Los Angelos [sic]. May I suggest you take your sorry butt out there. No great loss. Maybe read the news where California is one of those places. As Bill Engvall would say “here’s your sign”
• [insert some shit about “DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH” here]
Also, the dude who owns Shaker’s doesn’t like masks, either. He has an email in the Opposition category. Spooky!