Every Friday, Stuff We Missed looks to other Milwaukee publications (and beyond) for, well, stuff we missed throughout the week.
• Move over, Milwaukee Lion and that bat that got stuck in the Bradley Center that one time: there’s a new celebrity animal in town! It’s the South Shore Park Mandarin Duck! Just LOOK at this little quacker:
Some more photos of the mandarin duck. Can’t get over how beautiful his plumage is. pic.twitter.com/WZOdmYIeg8
— Pavlov (@worstmichael) January 10, 2023
Yes, Milwaukee has been in the throes of Mandarin Duck Fever ever since the rare bird—native to East Asia–was spotted in South Shore Park in late December. “A steady rotation of people flocked to and from South Shore Yacht Club Thursday morning, hoping to see a very rare duck that’s been hanging out around there recently,” reports the Journal Sentinel. “We’re not quite sure yet if it’s an escaped duck, or if it’s a duck that wanders around. They do wander a lot,” an enamored birdwatcher told FOX6. [FOX6]
— Dexter Patterson (Wisco Birder) 📷👐🏾🖤 (@wiscobirder) January 13, 2023
• Did you know Lakefront Brewery now has non-alcoholic East Side Dark and Extended Play IPA beers to go along with its non-alcoholic Riverwest Stein? It’s true! We tried them both at our recent N/A Day and they were great! [OnMilwaukee]
• Copper Turtle Brewery & Taverne—located in the old Bavette La Boucherie space at 330 E. Menomonee St.—is open. [TMJ4]
• Restaurant Jerez—located in the old VIP Lounge space at 828 S. 1st St.—is open. [Urban Milwaukee]
• Long-closed Halliday’s Irish Pub—located in the old Halliday’s Irish Pub space at 1729 N. Farwell Ave.—is, um, closed. [Urban Milwaukee]
• Wanna watch John McGivern’s Main Streets, which kicks off its second season on January 19? OF COURSE YOU DO. But good luck, because while a bunch of Midwest PBS stations will carry the show, Milwaukee PBS, incredibly, will not. “Milwaukee PBS has not picked up the show,” McGivern says in a Facebook post. “You can always call or write Milwaukee PBS and tell them you want this show to be on in Milwaukee.” For its part, Milwaukee PBS says it is “committed to exploring airing the program,” though it “may not be able to make a final decision before the first episode airs.” [Milwaukee Business Journal]
• At Random is getting ready to repair and renovate its exterior. “We are so excited to bring back the luster of the outside and give it a vintage shine, just like the inside,” says owner John Dye. [Urban Milwaukee]
• The Sherman Phoenix Foundation and gener8tor are teaming up on a new collaborative program called “gener8tor Art x Sherman Phoenix.” The program will focus on “supporting traditionally underfunded creatives, including professionals who identify as BIPOC or LGBTIA+, nonbinary individuals, people with disabilities, veterans, and neurodiverse individuals.” [BizTimes]
• Milwaukee’s Pabst Theater Group has joined the Theater Alliance, a national organization where members “share resources and work together on bookings, sponsorship opportunities and other ventures.” [Milwaukee Journal Sentinel]
• Milwaukee Health Commissioner Kirsten Johnson has submitted her resignation. Her last day on the job will be March 3. [Urban Milwaukee]
• Another Sweetgreen salad place! This one in the Third Ward! [Milwaukee Business Journal]
• Have a great weekend, Milwaukee!
Exclusive articles, podcasts, and more. Support Milwaukee Record on Patreon.