Last year, Dramatic Lovers released You Talk Loud. The 10-song debut record from the Milwaukee supergroup—which consists of members of Decibully, The Promise Ring, Temper Temper, and Maritime—earned lofty placement on our best local albums of 2019 list and found the young project (composed of veteran musicians) continuing to make a name for itself in its hometown and beyond.
The band had plans for a bigger and better year in 2020, with plans to write and record music for another release. Other than the two songs the group managed to record at Wire & Vice before everything went to hell, it looks like Dramatic Lovers—at least as we know it—is at something of a standstill for the time being. However, amid all the uncertainty of the ongoing pandemic, the band enlisted an impressive cast of musicians to take a stab at remixing songs from You Talk Loud.
Utah Cloud (get it?!) features 12 re-imagined renditions of tracks off the band’s memorable 2019 album. In addition to a few new offerings from Dramatic Lovers members William Seidel, Dan Didier, and Aaron Vold included, the unconventional release features remixes from the likes of Mark Waldoch, Guerrilla Ghost, Good Fuck (which features Tim Kinsella of Joan Of Arc and Cap’n Jazz), Steve Reidell of The Hood Internet, Q The Sun, Chris Rosenau, and more.
Speaking of Rosenau, the CoCoBees and former Pele member just released a music video—directed by Casey Gallenberger of Fusia Media—for his deconstructed and digitized take on the Lovers’ song “Fast As It’s Made” in advance of the remix album’s arrival. Dramatic Lovers will release Utah Cloud on streaming services and its Bandcamp page on Friday, August 14. Before the remix album comes out, watch Rosenau’s music video now, then check out the tracklist below.
1. “The Comedown” — Mark Waldoch
2. “I’m Awake” — Steve Reidell
3. “Broken Nose” — Dan Didier
4. “Hard To Hear” — Good Fuck
5. “Fast As It’s Made” — Guerrilla Ghost
6. “I Know You’re Not In Love” — Q The Sun
7. “How Do You Want To Be Remembered” — William Seidel
8. “Before You Forget Me” — Ryan Weber
9. “Suffers Like You Do” — Aaron Vold
10. “Danger To Myself” — Gas Station Disc
11. “Fast As It’s Made” — Chris Rosenau
12. “I Know You’re Not In Love” (Beta) — Q The Sun