Hey! Welcome to the second annual Weird Al Week! For the next seven days, Milwaukee Record will fill your feed with fresh, funny, and slightly fanatical Al-related materiel. It all leads up to Weird Al’s “Strings Attached” show at the Miller High Life Theatre on July 27! Fun!
There’s a frightfully old clip from the frightfully forgotten Jon Stewart Show featuring the frightfully young host and the frightfully coiffed “Weird Al” Yankovic. In it, Yankovic plugs his 1993 album Alapalooza and dumps a bunch of pudding and flour over his head. “Hey, you know what?” Stewart says at the end of the interview. “You sure are weird, Al.”
There’s a hint of disdain in Stewart’s voice. “This is supposed to be funny?” he seems to be thinking. “This childish, dopey, forced humor? Get me out of here.” Indeed, Stewart seems to have committed a classic blunder: overthinking Weird Al.
So let’s not overthink the next week of Al-related content, okay? Weird Al is funny. Weird Al is great. Weird Al is eternal. Before we launch into Weird Al Week proper tomorrow, here’s everything we’ve ever written about Weird Al. Hope you enJOY IT!
• Video for “Weird Al” Yankovic’s “Mission Statement” created by Wisconsin company (July 21, 2014)
• There’s a suspicious Summerfest-sized hole in “Weird Al” Yankovic’s 2015 tour schedule (February 3, 2015)
• Some questions (and answers) for last night’s glorious Weird Al show at Summerfest (July 5, 2015)
• Celebrate the first day of Summerfest with a bunch of videos of Weird Al playing Summerfest (June 29, 2016)
• Weird Al will bring his non-parody “Ill-Advised Vanity Tour” to Pabst Theater April 10 (October 13, 2017)
• Pabst Theater has added a second Weird Al show, so we shouldn’t give up on humanity just yet (November 29, 2017)
• We got it all at Avalon Theater on April 4 when we screen the Weird Al classic ‘UHF’ (March 1, 2018)
• Weird Al Week begins with, well, an interview with Weird Al (April 3, 2018)
• Our ‘UHF’ after-party at Vanguard will feature Weird Al music and videos, Twinkie Wiener Sandwiches (April 3, 2018)
• Weird Al Week continues with a conversation about why we love Weird Al (April 4, 2018)
• Weird Al bandmates Stephen Jay and Jim “Kimo” West go solo on Parallel Universe Tour (April 6, 2018)
• Weird Al’s Ridiculously Self-Indulgent, Ill-Advised Vanity Tour: What we’re hoping to hear (April 9, 2018)
• Here’s the setlist from Monday’s ridiculously self-indulgent Weird Al show at Pabst Theater (April 10, 2018)
• Weird Al Week ends with recaps of the two Weird Al shows at Pabst Theater (April 11, 2018)
• Let’s talk about new music venues, Summerfest, Jack White, and Weird Al (April 12, 2018)
• Weird Al’s “Strings Attached Tour” is coming to Miller High Life Theatre July 27 (November 12, 2018)