Every Friday, Off The Record looks to other Milwaukee publications (and beyond) for bits of news we missed throughout the week.
• What a week! The Democratic National Convention! The Domes! More Domes! And, of course, the biggest news of all: gleefully sketchy downtown strip club Art’s Performing Center, 144 E. Juneau Ave., has been acquired by the ever-growing Silk strip club empire! So long, Art’s Performing Center? Hello, Silk on Water?
Yep! Silk partner Craig Ploetz tells Urban Milwaukee that the new Silk on Water (described as a “nice, little club”) will be an identical operation to the high-end Silk on N. Old World Third St. “They reached out to us. I guess he was in some financial trouble,” Ploetz says of longtime Art’s owner Lyle Messinger. The Common Council will review the change of ownership at a future Licenses Committee meeting.
As for the DNC, Ploetz says, “I think it is going to be great for every business.” Oh, you know those places are gonna be JUMPING. [Urban Milwaukee]
• Okay, let’s blast through the rest of these, starting with some more DNC stuff…
• Free streetcar rides during the DNC! [Milwaukee Business Journal]
• Miller Park could host the final day of the DNC! [Milwaukee Business Journal]
• Milwaukee-area hotels have set aside 16,000 rooms for the DNC! [Milwaukee Business Journal]
• And don’t worry: the DNC will NOT fuck with Milwaukee’s summer festival schedule! [Milwaukee Business Journal]
• New Direct Hit! video! [Brooklyn Vegan]
• The Third Ward is getting a Wahlburgers! [WISN 12]
• The Brown Bottle is closed! For now! [BizTimes]
• A place called Love’s On Tap is moving into the old Bamboo Lounge! [OnMilwaukee]
• A place called Trailer Park Tavern is moving into the old Palm Tavern! [Urban Milwaukee]
• Mayor Tom Barrett vetoed that food truck ban! [Milwaukee Neighborhood News Service]
• Speaking of that food truck ban, Ald. Bob Donovan won’t seek reelection in 2020! [WISN 12]
• New DUIs video! [YouTube]
• The Thunderbirds are returning to the 2019 Milwaukee Air & Water Show! [Milwaukee Journal Sentinel]
• Volley Life LLC is taking over summer volleyball operations on Bradford Beach! [BizTimes]
• Fred’s Custard & Grill is for sale! [OnMilwaukee]
• Brady street properties that include the Nomad World Pub have been sold! But the Nomad is still open! [Milwaukee Journal Sentinel]
• A new pita place opened in Riverwest! [OnMilwaukee]
• Have a great weekend, Milwaukee!