Depending on which news sources you follow, Milwaukee is going through either a “renaissance” or a “reinvention.” Or maybe it’s a “reboot” or a “reimagining,” like that crappy Tim Burton version of Planet Of The Apes. However you want to define it, it’s safe to say that Milwaukee is currently building a lot of new shit.
• File this one under: “Oh god, they’re eventually gonna build some awful new shit there, aren’t they?” Yes, just in case your uneasiness about the future of the East Side—what with the recent closings of Rosati’s and Rascals joining numerous other closings—wasn’t uneasy enough, now comes news that the complex housing the venerable G-Daddy’s BBC and the former Hotel Foster is for sale. The high-profile North Avenue building is listed at a cool $2,299,000, and you just fucking KNOW it’s gonna be some fucking luxury apartments in a few years.
Despite that, here’s what the listing says:
Feel that? That’s what a once in a lifetime opportunity feels like.
This is arguably the best corner in the best neighborhood in Milwaukee. Milwaukee’s only Whole Foods is located immediately next to the property. It just sold for a record setting $412/SF!
This well known property consists of three separate bar and restaurants with a beautiful loft office space on the 3rd floor. What a unique opportunity for the restaurateur or investor with multiple bar and restaurant concepts to showcase! There is nothing else like it in Milwaukee.
Located in the heart of Milwaukee’s most popular neighborhood…the East Side. I can’t imagine a better location for your bar, restaurant and brewpub business.
Feel that? It’s the sound of a “G” word, and it ain’t “G-Daddy’s.” [OnMilwaukee]
• Soil testing has begun for a possible 22-story tower at Saint John’s on the Lake, a retirement community at 1840 N. Prospect Ave. [Urban Milwaukee]
• A pop-up “Brew Crew Bar” is coming to the parking lot of Miller Park this season. Located in the Yount Lot on the east side of the park, the bar will offer beer and booze, live entertainment, lounge seating, tailgate games, and VIP rooftop viewing platforms. According to OnMilwaukee, “The new pregame destination will be open to the public for approximately 40 games in 2017, debuting Opening Day on April 3 and including all Saturday and Sunday games, as well as select Friday night contests.” [OnMilwaukee]
• Osteria Del Mondo, a restaurant that called the Knickerbocker Hotel home for nearly two decades, will set up shop in the 330 Kilbourn building in downtown Milwaukee. [Milwaukee Business Journal]
• A downtown office building at 700 N. Water St.—formerly the home of Milwaukee Habitat for Humanity—is currently being emptied out. The building is expected to be converted in a hotel. [Milwaukee Business Journal]
• A new breakfast and lunch joint called Sweet Diner is set to open this summer at 239 E. Chicago St. [OnMilwaukee]
• Highly anticipated Scandinavian restaurant bar and restaurant Valhalla, located at 1111 N. Old World 3rd St., is open. [OnMilwaukee]
• La Cage is for sale. Wait…no it’s not. [OnMilwaukee]