Every Friday, Stuff We Missed looks to other Milwaukee publications (and beyond) for, well, stuff we missed throughout the week. This week: new Milwaukee music that dropped earlier today!
• Ugh. This fucking week, right? More ignorance. More hate. More death. When will it end? When? WHEN?
Anyway, there’s a lot of new Milwaukee music out today! Here’s the latest from WebsterX, “8:08pm.” Wow, where to begin with this song/video? The brilliant “fuck you” defiance? The grainy DV-night-vision aesthetic? The motorcycles? Who would have thought that WebsterX could possibly top his earlier summer jam, “Huffy”? Well, he did. [YouTube]
• Switching gears (ha), here’s the latest from Milwaukee/Minneapolis group Bicentennial Drug Lord. And by “latest” we mean “first new album in 24 years.” Yes, prior to the new BDL, Bicentennial Drug Lord had only one album to its name, 1997’s The First Hit Is Free. Was the loooooong-in-the-works follow-up worth the wait? Absolutely. The first track alone—the hazy, wistful “Summer’s Coming Down”—is enough to guarantee BDL a spot in our favorite records of the year list. [Bandcamp]
• Ahhh! A new B~Free song/video! “This Could Be Us” is the follow-up to an earlier summer jam, “Hate 2 Luv.” Similar to that song, “This Could Be Us” is fantastic. The sound may have a 2000s-era vibe, but the subject matter—dating in the digital age—is all 2021. Plus, the video was shot at the Selfie Hop & Selfie WRLD studios in Milwaukee and Brookfield, respectively. [YouTube]
• The members of tireless Milwaukee indie-rock group Negative/Positive may be at the tail-end of their “Graduation Tour” (i.e. they’re heading off to college in the fall), but that isn’t slowing them down in the video department. Here’s the just-released video for “And Sardines,” the penultimate track of this year’s excellent Mint Bag (Bag Full Of Mints). Catch Negative/Positive live (for the final time?) September 18, at 12:45 p.m., at Summerfest’s UScellular Stage. [YouTube]
• Okay, let’s blast through some non-music stuff. After 42 years in business, Rollaero skate rink in Cudahy is closed. [Milwaukee Journal Sentinel]
• Coach Bud signed a three-year extension with the Milwaukee Bucks. [ESPN]
• Soon-to-be Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary to the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett announced that most of Milwaukee’s city employees will have to get vaccinated. [Milwaukee Business Journal]
• A new vegan restaurant from the owners of The National Cafe is coming to the East Side. [OnMilwaukee]
• Summerfest announced a handful of new headliners, including The Flaming Lips (stepping in for the Pixies, who canceled their fall tour due to COVID concerns). [OnMilwaukee]
• 3rd Street Market Hall will open for business October 18. [Urban Milwaukee]
• Again: Ugh. This fucking week, right? We’ll leave you with this timeless tweet from Boswell Book Company. Have a great weekend, Milwaukee!
Please read a book this weekend.
— Boswell Book Company (@boswellbooks) July 30, 2021