Just over a year after The Laughing Taco closed its doors at 1033 S. 1st St., a new raw bar is being planned for the Walker’s Point space.

A license application filed with the city reveal that 2A Wine Merchants owner Rob Levin intends to open the simply named “1033” restaurant on the first floor of the 1st Street building. (The building includes four floors of apartments.) “1033 will be a small eatery that will focus on raw bar and small plates,” reads the application. Oysters, clams, crab, mussels, and caviar are all included in the “raw bar” designation.

A proposed opening date for the “restaurant with a small curated menu of food and beverages” is listed as April 10, 2023. Proposed hours are 3-11 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday; and 3-9 p.m. Sunday. Food is expected to account for 60% of sales, with alcohol making up the remaining 40%.

“This is a one-room space that will include a dishpit, cooking/prep area, a service station, and 16 seats for guests,” explains the license application.

Milwaukee chef Justin Carlisle and his wife Lucia Muñoz operated The Laughing Taco out of the 1st Street space from June 2017 until December 31 2021. The Laughing Taco can still be found inside Fiserv Forum.

Exclusive articles, podcasts, and more. Support Milwaukee Record on Patreon.


First Impression: The Laughing Taco

About The Author

Avatar photo
Co-Founder and Editor

Matt Wild weighs between 140 and 145 pounds. He lives on Milwaukee's east side.