About two weeks ago, we alerted you to the fact that Bay View bar, sausage joint, and occasional Kyle Kinane performance venue The Vanguard would be spending the night of Saturday, October 29 dressed up as restaurant called Hook, Line & Sinker. Once The Vanguard closes shop at 2 p.m., it will be re-decorated and will re-open as a crab shack from 5 p.m. until close.
The owners promised “off the hook seafood” but little else. Well, if you’re looking for a place to dine before heading out to a Halloween show, here’s what we’ve been told diners can expect from this single-night shellfish stop.
• Whole lobster
• Whole Dungeness crab
• One-pound wild Argentine red shrimp (tossed in one of three spices)
– Old Bay
– Black pepper and malt vinegar powder
– Black garlic and lemon butter or plain
• Clam, bacon and crab chowder with cheddar biscuit
• Norwegian fjord trout and kimchi poke
• Hangtown oysters (half dozen or dozen) with mignonette, lemon and horseradish