Every Friday, Stuff We Missed (formerly Off The Record, which is now the name of our print-only Colectivo publication) looks to other Milwaukee publications (and beyond) for, well, stuff we missed throughout the week.
• The Milwaukee/Laverne & Shirley connection is pretty dusty at this point. Save for the Lakefront Brewery tour (which is great), we’d be happy to put any future Milwaukee/Laverne & Shirley references on hold for a decade or two—at least until the inevitable L&S reboot which, yeah, is probably a thing that will happen. HOWEVER, we recently stumbled on this 2016 video of Better Call Saul, Spinal Tap, and Laverne & Shirley actor Michael McKean singing a song called “Milwaukee Moon.” The song is from Laverne & Shirley, but we had never heard it before. Are we the only ones? Weird. Anyway, it’s kind of wonderful:
And here’s a performance from the original show. We don’t think the song is about Milwaukee’s so-called “Polish Moon”—a.k.a. the Allen-Bradley clock tower—but let’s just say it is. [YouTube]
• Speaking of beer, the Sprecher Brewery taproom on 5th Street is closed. [Urban Milwaukee]
• The La Merenda Market on Barclay is also closed. [OnMilwaukee]
• Lena Taylor is running for mayor. [Urban Milwaukee]
• Ashanti Hamilton is not running for mayor. [TMJ4]
• New Negative/Positive song! [88Nine Radio Milwaukee]
• HIYA Taco, a new concept restaurant from the owners of BelAir, is coming to the former Ruckus space at 4144 N. Oakland Ave. in Shorewood. [OnMilwaukee]
• Some folks don’t want a Dollar General store in the Third Ward. [WISN]
• Hot Box Burger Shop, a proposed new restaurant for Brady Street, has been put on hold. [Urban Milwaukee]
• Chance The Rapper’s October 30 show at Fiserv Forum has been rescheduled for February 24, 2020. [OnMilwaukee]
• Alpine Valley Music Theatre has been sold to a Florida-based real estate firm for $7.5 million. (Don’t worry, it’s not closing.) [BizTimes]
• Have a great weekend, Milwaukee!