Every Friday, Stuff We Missed (formerly Off The Record, which is now the name of our print-only Colectivo publication) looks to other Milwaukee publications (and beyond) for, well, stuff we missed throughout the week.
• Milwaukee has long been known as the City of Festivals and the City of Neighborhoods. These days, it could also be known as the City of Flags. There’s the (still) official Milwaukee city flag. There’s the popular People’s Flag. There’s the looming possibility of a different People’s Flag. And there’s even the Milwaukee Record Flag, which isn’t really a flag, but you can totally get one in sticker form.
And yes, there’s another Milwaukee flag: the 414 Flag, created by the ever-busy Fred “Too Much Metal” Gillich. The flag, which sports the numbers “414” in the style of old Milwaukee address tiles, has been flapping in the breeze around town for a few years. But now, Gillich is going big with a public unfurling of a 20′ x 36′ 414 Flag at City Hall on Tuesday, April 9. Just in time for Milwaukee Day!
Here’s the press release:
GIANT 414 FLAG TO BE UNFURLED AT CITY HALL
MILWAUKEE — On Tuesday April 9th at 7am, 414 Milwaukee is proud to celebrate Milwaukee Day (April 14th) by unfurling a giant 414 Flag from the balcony of City Hall. “I’m so proud of Milwaukee. I can’t think of a better place to live. I’ve advocated for Milwaukee all of my life, and this flag is my contribution to the city of the future,” says Fred Gillich, 414 Milwaukee designer. And for the first time ever, Milwaukeeans who show up will receive this bitchin’, City of Milwaukee t-shirt FREE.
The unfurling event will be documented by Milwaukee film maker, Wes Tank. And Milwaukee musicians, Rose of the West, are contributing their song, Love & War, to the production. BelAir Cantina, and Pedro’s South American Food and The Fuel Cafe will be on hand selling breakfast burritos and coffee for the flag drop.
The 414 Flag measures 20’ x 36’ and will hang from the balcony of City Hall facing south. Milwaukeeans are encouraged to participate by taking photographs in front of City Hall and the 414 Flag all week and tagging #414flag on their social networks.
• Looks like the Brewers (and other partners) are going to save Milwaukee’s endangered July 3 fireworks. [BizTimes]
• Beer gardens are setting their (tentative) opening dates. [Milwaukee Journal Sentinel]
• That Saint Kate “arts hotel” looks pretty neat. [Milwaukee Business Journal]
• Von Trier is getting a new owner (though not much else will change, other than a new fish fry). [Milwaukee Journal Sentinel]
• Speaking of Von Trier, the East Side is doing just fine, thank you. [TMJ4]
• The new Zed Kenzo EP, Baby Swag, dropped today. [Soundcloud]
• Giannis is coming to a Christian Yelich mural in Walker’s Point. [Urban Milwaukee]
• The 2019 Milwaukee Muslim Film Festival is coming to the Oriental Theatre April 25-28. [88Nine Radio Milwaukee]
• Milwaukee Mitchell International Airport (formerly General Mitchell International Airport) is getting new restaurants and shops. [Milwaukee Business Journal]
• Dandan chefs Dan Van Rite and Daniel Jacobs “are spreading their wings with a new long-term consulting gig at the Iron Horse Hotel.” [OnMilwaukee]
• Milwaukee wants to be the “cleanest city in the country” (and if you dirty it up, it’ll cost you $500). [Urban Milwaukee]
• Milwaukee Beer Week will return May 4-11. [OnMilwaukee]
• Have a great weekend, Milwaukee!