This Friday feature is typically called “Stuff We Missed,” but we’ve temporarily rebranded it “This Week In Voter Suppression.” Maybe for the last time? Oh, who are we kidding…
• Okay, let’s keep this short and sweet. Election Day is Tuesday, November 3. You can vote in person (and register to vote) at your polling place on that day. Find your polling place HERE. Want to vote before November 3? You can vote early in person at THESE locations through November 1. (You cannot register to vote at these locations on October 31 or November 1.) Easy.
Now for the “voter suppression” part. If you have an absentee ballot but you haven’t turned it in yet, DO NOT drop it in the mail. Yes, the post office has assured everyone it will be busting its ass in the upcoming days delivering ballots, but, c’mon, don’t risk it. Why? Because on Monday, the Supreme Court ruled that ballots received after 8 p.m. on Election Day in Wisconsin will not be counted—even if they’re postmarked on or before Election Day. So if you live in Milwaukee, use a drop box. Find their locations HERE. (You can also simply toss out your not-yet-returned absentee ballot and vote in person.) Easy. [Washington Post]
• That “molotov cocktail” Milwaukee police said was thrown at them at a protest back in June turned out to be…a water bottle and a fish tank pump. [Milwaukee Journal Sentinel]
• LOL that (failed) campaign to recall Gov. Tony Evers. [Milwaukee Journal Sentinel]
• The Jazz Gallery is doing a fundraiser livestream on November 8. [Shepherd Express]
• Pomona Cider Co. is still coming to the East Side. [OnMilwaukee]
• Gathering Place Brewing Company is opening a second brewery and taproom in the Flour & Feed food hall in Bay View. [OnMilwaukee]
• A new restaurant specializing in CBD-infused cuisine, Lifted and Gifted, is opening Downtown. [Urban Milwaukee]
• Saint Kate Arts Hotel will reopen November 5. [OnMilwaukee]
• Sixty-four percent of Wisconsin voters say they always wear masks in public. [Milwaukee Business Journal]
• Wear a mask. [Urban Milwaukee]
• This. Have a great weekend, Milwaukee!
— Giannis Ugo Antetokounmpo (@Giannis_An34) October 28, 2020