Every Friday, Stuff We Missed looks to other Milwaukee publications (and beyond) for, well, stuff we missed throughout the week.
• Do you enjoy wacky, zany, and Instagram-friendly pop-up events? Do you enjoy giving your email address to international promotors promising wacky, zany, and Instagram-friendly pop-up events that may or may not actually happen? THEN HAVE WE GOT THE THING FOR YOU. Yes, Bumper Cars on Ice, the latest event from Australian-based group Viral Ventures, is slated to come to Milwaukee in April 2020! “April 2020, a bumper car ice rink is coming to Milwaukee and it’s combining two of your favourite things—bumper cars and sliding around on an ice rink!” reads a press release that absolutely features the Australian English spelling of “favorite.” What’s the exact date in April 2020? We don’t know! Where is it happening? We don’t know! But please “register your interest” here!
If all of this sounds familiar, it should. Back in July, Viral Ventures promised to bring a Pokémon-themed pop-up bar to Milwaukee in March 2020. No exact date was given (it was eventually narrowed down to March 14-15) and no location was ever announced. But you better believe there was a form where you could fork over your email address for updates!
So what happened to the so-called PokéBar? Well, the one in Cleveland was canceled. And so was the one in Miami. And so was the one in Atlanta. And so was…well, you get the idea. It seems Viral Ventures forgot to get permission from Nintendo (oops!), and was forced to reschedule and rebrand its events as The Monster Brunch. (Tagline: “We are not associated with Nintendo or any other brand.”) There’s no word yet if The Monster Brunch is theoretically coming to Milwaukee in nine months, but you can totally sign up for updates here!
Oh, here’s an interesting bit from Cleveland.com:
If you’re keeping score, this is the third Viral Ventures event scheduled here that has been postponed. Each time has come with a different excuse.
The LEGO-themed Brick Bar that was supposed to take place in July has been rescheduled for April 2020 due to low registration. A giant Ball Pit Party, originally set for September was “postponed to until 2020 due to logistics issues,” [Viral Ventures spokesperson Terry] Adams said. No new date has been announced.
In each instance, the Australia-based promoter sent out a splashy press release to area media outlets with video or Instagram photos from the event in other cities. The releases, which usually generated coverage on the local news sites, provided otherwise very little useful information such as dates, locations or ticket prices. Instead, it elicited people to give their email addresses to receive updates.
• In other news, Eaux Claires might be doing a winter festival. [88Nine Radio Milwaukee]
• No noise from party boats cruising down the Milwaukee River, please. [Urban Milwaukee]
• No smoking outside of City Hall, please. [Urban Milwaukee]
• Speaking of City Hall, someone likes that “Mixed Feelings” sculpture so much they’re giving the city $75,000 to support its maintenance. [Urban Milwaukee]
• Pastiche Bistro & Wine Bar will close its Downtown Milwaukee location at the end of the year. [Milwaukee Business Journal]
• The beer garden at South Shore Park will be renovated and expanded. [Milwaukee Business Journal]
• Hot Box Burger Shop will open in the former Hybrid Lounge on Brady Street early next year. [OnMilwaukee]
• The Wood Violet Tap House is open now in the Lincoln Warehouse, 2018 S. 1st St. [OnMilwaukee]
• Have a great weekend, Milwaukee!