Every Friday, Off The Record looks to other Milwaukee publications (and beyond) for bits of news we missed throughout the week.
• Okay, it’s Black Friday and some people have a longstanding family bowling tournament to get to, so let’s make this quick: Hacienda Beer Co.—the “experimental wing of Door County Brewing Co.”—plans to open a taproom next spring in the former home of G-Daddy’s BBC, 2018 E. North Ave. The BBC, you may recall, has been closed since 2017.
Here’s a press release:
As of Tuesday, November 20th, we are the newest addition to Milwaukee’s East Side neighborhood. We are excited to announce that we will be opening a Hacienda Beer Co. taproom at 2018 E. North Ave. mid 2019.
This year has already been a whirlwind for all of us at Door County Brewing Co. We finished installation of our new 15 barrel brewhouse in January, launched Hacienda Beer Co. in February, poured beer at some awesome events in North Carolina, Chicago, and (soon) Brooklyn, all while making a ton of beer (we will more than quadruple the amount of beer brewed in Baileys Harbor compared to 2017).
Over the last few years, we’ve spent a great deal of time in Milwaukee. We’ve been fortunate enough to witness growth in the beer and food industries, and we’ve made a lot of friends along the way. We’re pumped to be a part of this next chapter in the East Side neighborhood.
So what can you expect to see in our new space? For starters, we finally get to share beer that has only been distributed in limited quantities. We’re making a lot of great beer at our facility in Baileys Harbor, and opening a taproom in Milwaukee is an ideal way to get that beer into your hands. Expect to see a lot of juicy IPAs and pale ales, mixed fermentation beers brewed with weird and often times foraged ingredients, and maybe even a lager side-pull tap handle or two.
We’re currently in the design phase with 360 Degrees, and we can promise this will be a taproom experience unlike any other. We are aiming for opening May 2019, but you know how these things work—this is subject to change. In the meantime, we will be sharing more details as they come. None of this would be possible without the amazing support we’ve received over the last year. Cheers, let’s party Milwaukee!
—Danny McMahon, Founder [Shepherd Express]
• “Does ‘People’s Flag’ need new colors?” asks Urban Milwaukee. “OH GOD PLEASE MAKE IT STOP!!!” answers Milwaukee. [Urban Milwaukee]
• “Will painting [removed from governor’s mansion by Scott Walker in 2011] return to governor’s mansion [when Tony Evers moves in]?” asks Urban Milwaukee. “The Evers transition team did not have an immediate response to a number of inquiries about the subject as of deadline,” answers Urban Milwaukee. [Urban Milwaukee]
• A new tattoo removal joint, Vamoose, is opening in the former Old Salt Tattoo space, 2223 S. Kinnickinnic Ave. [OnMilwaukee]
• The Ride MCTS app is great and you should download it now and ride the bus all the time. [Urban Milwaukee]
• Northwestern Mutual has signed on as a “title partner” for the club lounges at the Fiserv Forum. [Milwaukee Business Journal]
• The Pabst Theater Group has some new merch. [Pabst Theater Group]
• The future of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel‘s print edition continues to look grim. [Urban Milwaukee]
• Have a great weekend, Milwaukee!