Every Friday, Off The Record looks to other Milwaukee publications (and beyond) for bits of news we missed throughout the week.
• Are you enjoying your Black Friday? Of course you’re not. It’s an awful day. Anyway, good lord, people are excited for the opening of Wisconsin’s first Shake Shack. The new Shack, located at 220 E. Buffalo St. in the Third Ward, will officially descend upon Milwaukee Wednesday, December 6 at 11 a.m. And hey! The first 50 people in line will nab a free ShackBurger! [LoriFredrich.com, Milwaukee Business Journal]
• Bruce Murphy took a hard look at the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel and its “post-Gannett decline.” Come for the incisive and brutally honest analysis, stay for the inevitable part where Murphy brings up the time he scooped the paper nearly two decades ago. [Urban Milwaukee]
• The Rusty Pelicans unveiled a brand new song, “Innersection.” Per a press release:
The music and narrative come together seamlessly in this offering from one of Milwaukee’s most notable hip-hop acts. Upon hearing, the listener is treated to what can only be described as the wisdom from years of dedication to the craft being manifested over the course of four minutes. Everything about “Innersection” is gorgeous and lush. Turn up the volume and get lost in the dreamscape painted by Rusty Pelicans. [Soundcloud]
• Hotel Metro will become a Marriott Autograph facility. “It tends to be a little bit more trendy, boutique-type hotel,” Greg Hanis of Hospitality Marketers International says of the Autograph hotels. “It’s definitely upscale.” [Milwaukee Business Journal]
• Winter Wonderland has begun at the HiHat and Garage! From November 24 through December 20, heated patio parties, special events, and more will be featured at the venerable East Side establishments. Here’s what to expect, per the HiHat and Garage:
Black Friday November 24th: Twas the Flight Before Christmas
All day Black Friday we will have a curated Christmas beer flight for only $2 with a healthy non-perishable food donation. $12 w/o. Flight Featuring: Deschutes Brewery Jubelale, Revolution Brewing Fistmas, New Glarus Brewing Co. Snow Shoe, and Great Lakes Brewing Company Christmas Ale.
Thursday December 7th: 3 Sheeps Brewing Company and Third Space Brewing Tap Takeover and Holiday Food Drive
Tap Takeover featuring $1 pints of select beers with a healthy non-perishable food donation!
Sunday December 17th: Brunch and Bottomless Mimosas with Santa and Krampus
Spend Sunday Brunch drinking $15 Bottomless mimosas with Santa and Krampus. A healthy non-perishable food donation will let you pick a present from their sacks!! Ho Ho Ho!
Also, Christmas trees will be on sale for $40 (or $35 with a non-perishable food donation) every day from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. [HiHat & Garage]
• Belli’s Bistro & Spirits, “a casual bar and restaurant which will offer guests comforting American style cuisine, cocktails and a variety of live entertainment,” is coming to the former Pastiche space in Bay View. [LoriFredrich.com]
• BrownStone Social Lounge, “an upscale urban lounge and eatery,” is set to open at 524 N. Water St. on Friday, December 1. [OnMilwaukee]
• Have a great weekend, Milwaukee!