Every Friday, Off The Record looks to other Milwaukee publications (and beyond) for bits of news we missed throughout the week.
• Hey! It snowed a bunch last night! It’s still kind of snowing now! It’s an honest-to-goodness snow day! Which is cool if you’re 4 years old! For the rest of us, it means a whole lot of shoveling, plenty of dangerous driving, oodles of baffling on-street parking rules, and being stuck in the house all day with the aforementioned 4-year-olds. Hope you like 8,000 hours of Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood!
So yeah, it’s hard to get too excited for a snow day when you’re an adult—especially when you have something like the FOX6 Snow Stick rubbing it in your face, facewash-style. Not familiar with the infernal Snow Stick? Well, according to FOX6, it’s their “unofficial snow measurement tool sitting on the all-new FOX6 Weather Deck in Brown Deer, WI.” According to us, it’s a defiant, gloating hunk of PVP pipe with some tape stuck to it that sits on a deck and can’t shut up about the snow. You can practically hear it cackling in its recent Facebook posts (yeah, it has its own Facebook page—and a Twitter account):
Snow day! Snow day! This is the best kind of day! You agree, right? Watch me on the FOX6 Weather Deck. Already have roughly 3 inches of fresh powder.
Kids home from school in their snow day? Have them get their school rulers—stick them in the snow and take a picture! Share those pictures in comments on this post! I want to see how much snow fell in your neighborhood!
Easy, Snow Stick. We know that days like this are what you live for, but the rest of us are stuck shoveling out our parking spots and/or watching endless episodes of Paw Patrol. Have a little compassion. Act like you’ve been there before. (Oh, one more thing: the Snow Stick has a live video feed, sponsored by Gruber Law Offices.)
• The owners of Board Game Barrister and 42 Lounge are opening a new gaming bar called Oak & Shield Gaming Pub in the spot currently occupied by Karma, 600 E. Ogden Ave. YES. Read more about it on this very website. [Milwaukee Record]
• New Field Report song! [YouTube]
• The Milwaukee Bucks want to bring the NBA All-Star game to their new arena. [Milwaukee Journal Sentinel]
• Justin Timberlake and The Eagles are already coming to the new Bucks arena. [Milwaukee Journal Sentinel]
• Speaking of the Bucks, they paid a cool $2.3 million for the property that will eventually become their “live block” or “entertainment block” or whatever. [Milwaukee Business Journal]
• Speaking of millions of dollars, Foxconn paid a cool [terms of sale not disclosed] for a Northwestern Mutual office building at 611 E. Wisconsin Ave. [Urban Milwaukee]
• Vincent VanGREAT released a new single, the aptly named “Hot $h!t.” [Shepherd Express]
• A new bakery and cafe called Batches, 401 E. Erie St., will open February 13. [OnMilwaukee]
• A new sports bar and restaurant called Sabor Latin Inspired Kitchen and Lounge, 631 W. National Ave., will open soon. [OnMilwaukee]
• A new cafe and community space called Rise & Grind Cafe & Market, 2737 N. Martin Luther King Jr. Dr., will open soon. [OnMilwaukee]
• A new Mediterranean and Middle Eastern restaurant called Gyro MKE, 700 W. Wisconsin Ave., will open soon. [OnMilwaukee]
• WebsterX’s “Intuition” was used in a Super Bowl ad! [Milwaukee Journal Sentinel]
• Who’s playing this year’s Eaux Claires festival? Justin Vernon says it’s a seeeeecret. [Milwaukee Journal Sentinel]
• Have a great weekend, Milwaukee!